Friday, February 22, 2019

Witch’s Broom, Japanese style: making a bamboo broom



Witch’s brooms, aka besom brooms, are not only for Halloween. They are damned practical tool for sweeping a front yard, or tidying up forest floor after forestry activity. In Japan, we use witch’s brooms made of bamboo. These days those sold in Japanese hardware warehouses are made in China. They are modestly priced, but according to my mum, “They’re worn out very quickly! There is a problem of cost performance here.” Er, well, I don’t want to enter issues of trade disputes. But one thing is for sure. In Niiharu Citizen Forest 新治市民の森, we Lovers of Niiharu Citizen Forest 新治市民の森愛護会 are taking care of the bamboo forests year-round in order to tackle really vigorous growth of the forest that can affect the other vegetation. So, especially from fall to winter, thinning bamboos is regular activity. One thinned bamboo produces a loooooong trunk, and piles of boughs and twigs. City of Yokohama asks us to bring it all to a depo yard where later garbage collectors hired by the City come to pick them up. Some becomes chips for mulching in the parks of the city. But many are just burned. WASTE! Instead of importing brooms from China, we can make it here with continuous and abundant supply of the materials!


It looks nice these brooms …
 My mum hate them, though, because
This is how they turned out within a month.
Lovers in action for Niiharu’s bamboo forest.
A provisional depo next to a bamboo forest in Niiharu
This is the boughs and leaves
 attached to the above bamboos.
 They are quicker to dry,
 so the volume becomes at least ½ within a week.
Niiharu’s depo for thinned vegetation.


So, I promised my mum I would make a broom from bamboos harvested in Niiharu. I did a bit of internet search and found this site telling us how to make a bamboo broom. One weekend afternoon, from a depo yard I packed a modest amount of bamboo twigs and a bamboo trunk that would be a nice broom handle for my project. Then my seniors of Niiharu Lovers said, “Naomi, are you going to make a bamboo broom?” Yes. “Er, I think you’d have a problem.” ? “Yes, you know? Bamboo trunks are waxy. It’s difficult to tie the twigs to it.” “Unless you fasten those twigs very tightly, the broom will fall apart when we sweep the ground.” “I myself made a broom from these bamboos before. It was extremely hard to secure the shoots with a wire. In the end I used a vice borrowed from the Niiharu woodworks atelier.” Whoops. One of my seniors then showed me his work now extensively used for forestry activity. It is a beautiful broom … with a help of vice. “So, I don’t recommend you to do it home.” Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm …


This is indeed a beautiful work.
 He said he used one whole bamboo tree,
 and a vice, to make this broom.
To make it, first,
 he processed the boughs and twigs to remove leaves;
 sprayed them water and covered them by a plastic tarp for 3 days.
 Then, he plucked leaves by hand.
 Imagine doing it for one bamboo tree.
 It’s an effort.
The point is how to attach the boughs around a trunk.
 Could you see it is secured in a two-story way?
 He said near the end of the handle,
 he pegged a nail to pull the wire.
After fastening twigs,
 he inserted several more twigs in small gaps
 to make the bundle tighter.


“Instead, just make a broom without a handle. It’s a useful tool, and professional landscapers utilize them to clean up smaller spaces.” “I think that would be enough for home usage. You don’t have to struggle with tying the twigs to the trunk.” I see. So, I changed my strategy to make a bamboo broom without a handle. Below is how I did:


My tools.
 My garden scissors and a ball of hemp twine.
The amount of bamboo twigs I used this time.
I first prepared the twigs small and long.
 Small ones are mainly from trimming the long stems.
After trimming, a long stem looks like this.
A trimmed twig.
 This one goes to the pile of smaller twigs.
I first made a bundle of smaller twigs,
 and tied its end with a hemp twine in double.
Next,
 I spread the longer stems on the double hemp twine,
and put the bundle of shorter stems in the middle.
A tacked bundle of bamboo twigs.
Then, I fastened the lower part of the bundle
 with the double hemp twine, and
Trimmed the bottom and the top to make a tidy shape.
 I also added one more fastening with the hemp twine.
Done!
 I covered the bottom of the broom with yellow duct tape
 and attached a hemp string for hanging the broom.
The commercial version.
 599 yen + tax, made in China.


This way, it was not so difficult to make a broom. I hope my mum is satisfied with my work for sweeping her front yard ... 





If you find a problem in the Niiharu Citizen Forest, please make a contact with

Office for the Park Greeneries in the North北部公園緑地事務所
Yokohama Municipal Government Creative Environment Policy Bureau横浜市環境創造局
Phone: 045-311-2016
FAX: 045-316-8420

Niiharu Administrative Office / Satoyama Exchange Center新治管理事務所・里山交流センター
Phone: 045-931-4947
Fax: 045-937-0898
http://www.niiharu.jp/



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I made a broom with some twigs I collected, all thanks to your instructions! :)

    ReplyDelete