Friday, June 2, 2023

Tis the Season of Plum Works …?

 


In 2015 when I first mentioned plum and peach trees in Yokohama’s Citizen Forests, Japanese apricot fruits were ready to be picked in the last week of Yokohama’s June. No more. They are now, the last week of May and the first week of June, ready, or some even falling off from the tree with enough maturity. Inevitably, I’m busy collecting them to make pickles, cider, syrup, etc. a month earlier than before. 2023 is a bounty-year for plums in Kanagawa Prefecture. I should be grateful for the gift from the Nature … but … I feel a sort of uneasiness … A month earlier than before, in less than 10 years …



If you’re interested in my recipes for plum fruits, here are the list from my posts;

June 21, 2019 Season of Japanese Apricot 1: making Ume Compote

June 28, 2019 Season of Japanese Apricot 2: making Ume drinks

July 10, 2020 Season of Japanese Apricot 3: making Ume pickles … for combating pandemic?

July 9, 2021 Seasonal task: making Umeboshi, Part 1 July16, 2021 In order to survive Japanese summer: making Umeboshi, Part 2

It’s really a seasonal project taking several days to complete. I think I’m getting better at dealing with them (Proud!).


If you find environmental issues in Kanagawa Prefecture, please make a contact with Kanagawa Natural Environment Conservation Center 神奈川県自然環境保全センター

657 Nanasawa, Atsugi City, 243-0121
〒243-0121 厚木市七沢657 
Phone: 046-248-0323

You can send an enquiry to them by clicking the bottom line of their homepage at http://www.pref.kanagawa.jp/div/1644/

No comments:

Post a Comment