Friday, December 7, 2018

Becoming an Otaku in a forest: learning how to watch mosses

Conocephalum japonicum in November of Yokohama.
 The fronds of this moss have started to change
 their color from green to autumnal red.
 It soon shed them and
 conserve only female receptacle for spring spores.


During vegetation censuses along Hadano Forestry Road 秦野林道 this summer, it seemed to me, my senior forest instructors did not care much about moss. I asked them many times “What is it?”. They answered “We don’t know.” “Hey, Naomi, are you interested in it?” “Yeah. They look cute, don’t they?” They laughed. “Wooooooooooow, you know, you’re entering a dangerous territory. It’s the first step to be an Otacky in forest.” FYI, “Otacky” is an endearment to call some “Otaku” in Japanese … well, OK. I’m becoming a nerd in a forest, maybe. But, mosses are really Kawaii, don’t you think?


Entodon challenger, very ubiquitous moss in Japan.
 We can find them even in concretes
 or trees lining a street in downtown.
 They are often with tiny capsules sticking out,
 like this one.
Another common bryophytes in Japan anywhere.
  Marchantia polymorpha subsp. Ruderalis and Brachymenium exile.


For this matter, I’ve a kind of figured out the necessity to be independent in Kanagawa Forest Instructors Association. Now, I’m slowly studying what to do to look at mosses in a forest. I’m still at the stage of mastering the usage of proper tools … Mosses, or bryophytes are tiny creatures on something. In humid Japan, they are ubiquitous not only in forest, but downtowns, or anywhere. Yeah, they are a part of the world of plants, but definitely different in many ways from trees or roses. I hope I could post someday what I would learn … at this moment, one thing for sure. To observe them we can never be in a hurry, and look around the forest in a very peculiar way. These days, when I do a sort of practice to watch mosses in a hiking road, many hikers would have found me acting very strangely in mountain: almost pasting loupe to my eye, kneeling very closely to the ground, and keeping the posture for a while. Yeah, it’s a very bizarre thing to do. The world of Otacky.


My dear loupe,
 accompanying with me
 since I was a 1st grader …
Now, let’s put your nose on it!
 It is in Aneuraceae family.
 If we find mosses spreading like a paste over something,
 it’s for this family.
 According to Hisako Fujii,
 identifying specific Aneuraceae is possible
 only by analyzing their cell with microscopes by experts.
 Wow.
This one looks like for bryophytes family,
 but actually it is a fern, Selaginella remotifolia,
 often in forest floors of cedars.


In my backpack, I’ve even started to carry atomizer. When it is dry, many bryophytes do not die, but stop photosynthesis and breathing for several months until weather carries humidity that they absorb directly from their skin. So, especially during dry winter in Kanagawa Prefecture, atomizers are handy to revitalize mosses for observation. I found ridiculous to pack a spray for ironing my shirts at first. But, SURPRISE! When I moisturize mosses, their “leaves” open up with fresh green at once. It’s a very intimate experience in a quiet forest. They are charming.


My atomizers.
 Pink bottle is re-using the product of Body Shop.
 FYI, they only have H2O inside.
Pogonatum inflexum started to dry …
But, with sprayed water, open up!


I’m now learning to take their close-up photos with my smart phone. We can find a very good lens attachable to any smart phone in less than $25, from internet or downtown retailers. For me, it’s like a bit early Christmas present from Santa. (Examples are here. Don’t bother those in less than $20. The photos by them have warped hedges which makes less-clear pictures.) It’s a tricky operation. We have to hold a smart phone very close to bryophytes and touch a shutter button without shaking. It needs some practice to master. I’m now thinking to carry a tripod for my phone to stabilize … Please stay tuned. I report you about my progress for mastering observation of mosses!


My cell phone with lens
… F-grade photo, yeah …
 Wait a minute,
 I think I’ve seen such cover
 for a CD or the like before …
That’s better.
 It’s a close-up of Conocephalum conicum.


The identification manuals I used for this post are

Bryophytes Manual for Easy Identification 特徴がよくわかるコケ図鑑, Hisako Fujii, 2017, Ieno-hikari Kyokai, Tokyo, ISBN 978-4-259-56538-1

Heart-throbbing Identification Manual for Bryophytes ときめくコケ図鑑, Miho Tanaka, 2014, Yama-to-Keikoku Sha, Tokyo, ISBN 978-4-635-20225-1


But I cannot identify this close-up photo.
 I think
 they are similar to capsules of Pogonatum inflexum,
 but if so,
 the top should not have such trumpet-like shape
 … Is there anybody who can tell me what it is?
A close-up for Hypnum plumaeforme


If you find an environmental issues in Kanagawa Prefecture, please make a contact with Kanagawa Natural Environment Conservation Center 神奈川県自然環境保全センター

657 Nanasawa, Atsugi City, 243-0121 2430121 厚木市七沢657
Phone: 046-248-0323


You can send an enquiry to them by clicking the bottom line of their homepage at http://www.pref.kanagawa.jp/div/1644/



No comments:

Post a Comment