Sunday, June 16, 2024

Hydrangea

 


Hydrangea macrophylla is Japanese endemic species. The original species is lacecap hydrangea we can easily find in Kanagawa’s coast area. There are several theories how the Japanese lacecap flower was introduced to European Court Society. Though, the established story is it was during the 17th century. From the Society the flower spread world-wide and received numerous selective breeding. Now the garden variety would have more than 2000 kinds and decorating our garden.

Lacecap hydrangea is casually decorating
a strolling path in Hayama Town.

In more mountainous area of Kanagawa, we have also the other kinds of wild hydrangea, like

Hydrangea involucrata Siebold, in Tanzawa.
Hydrangea serrata, aka Tea of Heaven, in Hakone.
Hydrangea hirta, in Hakone.

They are also very attractive. Japan has seasonal rainy season between spring and summer. During these wet days, hydrangea is THE flower occupying the center stage of our psyche. In suburbs Yokohama, we can find many varieties here and there in our neighborhood gardens. Like





Recently, one of my friends told me hydrangea had scent. Really? At least ubiquitous hydrangea in my neighborhood does not assert itself in this way, unlike morning roses. I tried to find a scent of hydrangea. The flashy “flower” part of hydrangea is sterile sepals. The fertile part is in the middle surrounded by sepals. Thinking the role of flowers for seeds, and the scent is to attract pollinators to carry pollens to pistils, I surmise the fragrance of hydrangea would be from the center part. I stick my nose into the center of the above flowers, and … could not smell it. I continued my smelling adventure, and finally found delicate aroma from this.


It’s strange. This hydrangea has almost sepals only, i.e. it is a heavily modified variety. Having an attractive smell for sterile parts does not make sense, don’t you think? I guess its faint scent is the result of human intervention … it’s a successful breeding for sure. Later I noticed its smell is the aroma we are surrounded by in a park when it is raining for a June day. A-ha. It’s a calming smell. Quiet park, rain, and slight scent wafting unconsciously into our psych …


Lacecap hydrangea can actually be found in relatively mild climate area of Japanese archipelago, like Kanagawa’s coastal area. Familiar sighting of the flower in our backyard forests might be our local specialty. True, hydrangea is not rose or jasmine. Still, it could be flower of subtle scent in June for Yokohama’s Machado-moment.

The wind, one brilliant day, called 
to my soul with an odor of jasmine.



'In return for the odor of my jasmine, 
I'd like all the odor of your roses.'



'I have no roses; all the flowers 
in my garden are dead.'



'Well then, I'll take the withered petals 
and the yellow leaves and the waters of the fountain.'



the wind left. And I wept. And I said to myself:


'What have you done with the garden that was entrusted to you?'



If you find environmental issues in Kanagawa Prefecture, please make a contact with Kanagawa Natural Environment Conservation Center 神奈川県自然環境保全センター

657 Nanasawa, Atsugi City, 243-0121
〒243-0121 厚木市七沢657
Phone: 046-248-0323

You can send an enquiry to them by clicking the bottom line of their homepage at http://www.pref.kanagawa.jp/div/1644/

No comments:

Post a Comment