The final week of July was dreadful in Yokohama. When the earthquake hit Kumamoto, the temperature around here was hovering above 35 degrees Celsius. It was hard as we were talking about cool summer during the first half of July. Sudden scorching days were tough to cope with. This week, the temperature in Yokohama has returned to the “before boiling planet” level, around 30°C for summer. Forecasts say it would be around 33 degrees next week, but it still sounds milder than last week … So sorry for you in Europe, or in Korea and western parts of Japan including Kumamoto ... During the heat wave, many of us did the same as many of you are doing now with 40°C, i.e. stayed indoors with air conditioning.
Still Naomi went to a forest therapy training. Last weekend, we gathered at Koishikawa Botanical Garden. In the forest of platanus the thermometers we carried reported 36+°C. Even under the gigantic three camphor trees, our gear showed 35°C. If for normal temperatures of summer weekend, we must have met in the garden many visitors who wanted to chill in the forest surrounded by Tokyo’s concrete blocks. With 36+°C , nope. The forest was completely quiet only a few visitors.
| But Newton’s apples were in abundance. |
We practiced meditation and breathing under shades of trees. We found even when the thermometers cried out dangerous temperatures, gentle winds came and went within trees. They were very soothing. The entire forest encouraged us to know the place with all our five senses. We watched treetops of metasequoias swaying slowly, listened to the chorus of cicadas, smelled a fresh aroma from flowers of chaste tree, felt the soft touch of leaves of wild berries, and from thermos enjoyed cold herb tea of lemon grass, rosehip and lemon balm. It was incredible experience in the center of Tokyo.
As we knew how to enjoy forests with 36°C, I think we were able to enjoy the experience. I don’t recommend you do the same without somebody who can support your walk in the forest of boiling planet. But I say it for sure; we can do it if we come up with the idea. Fingers crossed for any victims of natural disaster. I pray for anybody who’s suffering.
As we knew how to enjoy forests with 36°C, I think we were able to enjoy the experience. I don’t recommend you do the same without somebody who can support your walk in the forest of boiling planet. But I say it for sure; we can do it if we come up with the idea. Fingers crossed for any victims of natural disaster. I pray for anybody who’s suffering.
No comments:
Post a Comment